How to Use a Spelling Journal
Logic of English Spelling Journal
The Spelling Journal is designed to accompany our Essentials curriculum or supplement any spelling program instruction.
Spelling Journal Features
- provides a system for collecting, categorizing, and understanding words
- organized first by sounds and then by spellings
- includes spellings for each phonogram and spelling rule guidance
The Spelling Journal does not include sounds with only one option for spelling, such as short /ă/. This is because there is only one spelling for /ă/.
Why should I use a spelling journal?
Using a spelling journal can help you:
- discover which phonograms and spelling rules are most commonly used.
- learn which phonograms and rules are infrequently used.
- understand your options for spelling a given sound.
- organize your knowledge about words.
Learning the phonograms and spelling rules helps students understand 98% of English words. However, some words still have to be memorized because many English words have sounds with multiple spellings. The Spelling Journal is a powerful resource for simplifying this process and an excellent reference for students to build along the way.