If English words do not end in I, U, V, or J, what about the words you and I?
Along with the word thou, you and I are true exceptions. We help students remember this by telling them, "You and I are very special."
Even though the words you and I do not follow the expected spelling pattern, they are spelled with phonograms that are decodable. After teaching the phonograms necessary for reading and spelling, these two words can be taught using Spelling Analysis.
Many common words from Old English may have irregular spellings. Overall, about 98% of English words follow the phonograms and spelling rules taught in Logic of English. This leaves about 2% of English words that contain some spelling or sound that breaks one of the rules.