All editions of the Foundations B books and materials are compatible with each other. Some materials are in a new edition, but the changes do not affect compatibility. If you are considering upgrading to a more recent version, this article provides an overview of changes we have made over the years.
Foundations B Edition History
- Foundations B Teacher's Manual
- Foundations B Student Workbook
- Foundations B Readers & Young Artist Series
- Young Artist Series with an Older Teacher's Manual
- Core Materials With Minor Changes
- Materials With No Relevant Changes
Foundations B Teacher's Manual
Third Edition (Current Edition) published in 2019. 292 pages.
- Still compatible with any Foundations workbook, but we recommend using the 3rd Edition Teacher's Manual if you would like to take advantage of the new reading comprehension content.
- Young Artist Series Readers. These eight additional readers for Foundations B, published in 2018, are scheduled in the lessons. We have added reading comprehension dialogue for these additional readers into the lesson scripting.
- Expanded reading comprehension questions for the original Foundations B Readers.
- The expanded Scope & Sequence table in the introduction includes all the skills covered in each lesson.
- Relabeled section headers within each lesson more clearly highlight the specific skills students are learning.
Second Edition published in 2018. 256 pages.
- No significant changes.
- Adds prompts to read Whistling Whales: Beyond the Sounds of ABC as students learn each new phonogram.
- Adds the fifth sound of the phonogram OU.
First Edition published in 2013. 248 pages.
- This first edition teacher's manual directs you to find the Foundations B Readers in the back of the workbook. However, the readers are now sold separately from the workbook.
Foundations B Student Workbook
Any Foundations B Student Workbook may be used with any Foundations B Teacher's Manual. The edition change does not affect compatibility, but it changes the location of the Readers.
Second Edition (Current Edition) published in 2015. 238 pages.
- Workbook activity pages are unchanged, but Foundations B Readers are sold separately as a set of individually bound paperback books, rather than printed in the back of the workbooks as tear-outs.
First Edition published in 2013. 272 pages.
- Includes the Foundations B Readers as tear-outs at the back.
Foundations B Readers & Young Artist Series
Foundations B Readers - First Edition published in 2015.
- Set of 8 phonetically controlled readers.
Foundations B Readers: Young Artist Series - First Edition published in 2018.
- Set of 8 more phonetically controlled readers illustrated by young artists in our community! For more information, see our article about the Foundations B Readers.
Young Artist Series with an Older Teacher's Manual
The Foundations B Readers: Young Artist Series include the eight titles listed below. If you have a Foundations B Teacher's Manual from before 2019, the Young Artist Series are not prompted in the lessons.
These readers can still be used for extra reading practice with the following schedule:
- Stan and His Skunk - (Lesson 46)
- Ben Has a Fright - (Lesson 51)
- The Sail Box - (Lesson 56)
- Kate Needs a Drink - (Lesson 61)
- Cole and His Bike - (Lesson 66)
- Gwen Gives a Gift - (Lesson 71)
- The Corn Maze - (Lesson 76)
- Meg Makes a Fort - (Lesson 80)
Core Materials With Minor Changes
The following items have had minor changes. You may need to make occasional adjustments to reflect newer content, but most people do not find these updates significant enough to warrant buying a new copy.
Materials With No Relevant Changes
The following items have had no relevant changes that affect use with Foundations B:
- Whistling Whales: Beyond the Sounds of ABC
- Rhythm of Handwriting Tactile Cards
- Rhythm of Handwriting Quick Reference
- Spelling Analysis Quick Reference
- Student Whiteboard