Foundations C - Current Edition and Version Compatibility
All editions of the Foundations C books and materials are compatible with each other. Some materials are in a new edition, but the changes do not affect compatibility. If you are considering upgrading to a more recent version, this article provides an overview of changes we have made over the years.
Foundations C Edition History
- Foundations C Teacher's Manual
- Foundations C Student Workbook
- Foundations C Readers & Miles and Jax
- Miles and Jax with an Older Teacher's Manual
- Core Materials With Minor Changes
- Materials With No Relevant Changes
Foundations C Teacher's Manual
Third Edition (Current Edition) published in 2019. 328 pages.
- Compatible with any Foundations workbook.
- Lesson content has no significant updates from the second edition.
- The expanded Scope & Sequence table in the introduction includes all the skills covered in each lesson.
- Relabeled section headers within each lesson more clearly highlight the specific skills students are learning. Some pagination changes.
Second Edition published in 2018. 316 pages.
- This edition was a major update with significant new content.
- There are eight bonus lessons for our Miles and Jax chapter books (published in 2017). The lessons include comprehension questions, spelling games, and composition activities related to the Miles and Jax books.
- Includes the phonogram es and the fifth sound of ou.
- Prompts to read Knitting Knights: Beyond the Sounds of ABC as students learn each new phonogram.
- We clarified and simplified instructions for several activities where we felt that the level of challenge rose too quickly or the level of mastery expected was unclear.
- The new content does not use workbook pages, so workbook compatibility is not affected.
First Edition published in 2013. 264 pages
- This first edition teacher's manual directs you to find the Foundations C Readers in the back of the workbook. However, the readers are now sold separately from the workbook.
Foundations C Student Workbook
Any Foundations C Student Workbook may be used with any Foundations C Teacher's Manual.
Second Edition (Current Edition) published in 2016. 246 pages.
- Workbook activity pages are unchanged.
- Foundations C Readers are now sold separately as a set of individually bound paperback books, rather than printed in the back of the workbooks as tear-outs.
First Edition published in 2013. 296 pages.
- Includes the Foundations C Readers as tear-outs at the back.
Foundations C Readers & Miles and Jax
- Foundations C Readers published in 2016. Set of 8 phonetically controlled readers.
- Miles and Jax published in 2017.
- Miles and Jax: Master Planners published in 2017.
For more information, see our article about the Foundations C Readers.
Miles and Jax with an Older Teacher's Manual
If you have a Foundations C Teacher's Manual from before 2018, the Miles and Jax books are not prompted in the lessons. Each chapter of the Miles and Jax series is designed to be read after completing a specific lesson in Foundations C.
These chapter books can be used with the following schedule, which is also located in the back of each of the chapter books:
- Miles and Jax
- Chapter 1: Miles and Jax - after Lesson 85
- Chapter 2: Miles and Jax Go to the Playground - after Lesson 90
- Chapter 3: Miles and Jax Clean Up - after Lesson 95
- Chapter 4: Miles and Jax Go Camping - after Lesson 100
- Miles and Jax: Master Planners
- Chapter 1: Miles and Jax Solve a Crime - after Lesson 105
- Chapter 2: Miles and Jax Build a Treehouse - after Lesson 110
- Chapter 3: Miles and Jax Make a Surprise - after Lesson 115
- Chapter 4: Not a Mere Cat - after Lesson 120
Core Materials With Minor Changes
The following items have had minor changes. You may need to make occasional adjustments to reflect newer content, but most people do not find these updates significant enough to warrant buying a new copy.
- Basic Phonogram Flash Cards
- Phonogram Game Cards
- Phonogram Game Tiles
- Knitting Knights: Beyond the Sounds of ABC
- Updated in 2018 to include the es phonogram.
Materials With No Relevant Changes
The following items have had no relevant changes that affect use with Foundations C:
- Rhythm of Handwriting Tactile Cards
- Rhythm of Handwriting Quick Reference
- Spelling Analysis Quick Reference
- Student Whiteboard